Thursday, February 10, 2011

Green Leafy Vegetable #26: Kale

Kale isn't something I grew up with but I've started eating it last year, because all the health magazines told me to do it (I'm impressionable, what?).  The first real time I ate Kale is at Gustavo's apartment: he stir fried it with salt (?) and served it as a side to pasta. On my own, I've tried using chopped Kale in my Spicy Beef Noodle Soup but in this particular dish--I found the taste too bitter and the texture too rough.  However, I do like chopped Kale in tomato based soups--like Kale and White Bean Soup

Photo: Clean Eating Magazine
The other day, in Clean Eating Magazine, I found a recipe where Kale is paired with Lentils and served with Honey Mustard Salmon.  I tested out this recipe last night and it was a hit with Adam. I thought it was ok and I'll cook it again for Adam and the nutritional value (approx. 471 calories per serving and 2/3 of my daily requirement of fiber).

The recipe requires a total of 45 minutes from start to finish but you can shave off 20 minutes of cooking time by using canned lentils and parchment paper.




Ingredients

1 cup canned lentils, picked over and rinsed
4 packed handfulls of chopped Kale
1 Medium salmon fillet
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
You will also need ground black pepper, sea salt and paprika to taste. Pam cooking spray and parchment paper if desired.

Preparation

Preheat oven to 450°F. Mix sauce. If using parchment paper--cover salmon with sauce, fold into paper and put in oven. Salmon will be done when paper turns brown. If not using parchment paper--place salmon fillet on a baking sheet lined with foil and coated with cooking spray. Season salmon with salt and pepper, to taste. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove fillets from oven and coat thoroughly with honey-mustard glaze. Return to oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes more or until cooked through.

In a large saucepan over high heat spray wok with PAM and add lentils and Kale. Cover and simmer with 1/8 cup of water or chicken broth  if necessary. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  Divide lentil mixture among 2 plates. Top each with a salmon fillet half and serve immediately.

For other Kale Recipes click here
 

No comments:

Post a Comment