Friday, February 11, 2011

Good Review: Bad Review St. Regis Bar V. Pourhouse

Good Review: St Regis Bar


This week Sue treated me to lunch at the St. Regis Bar and Grill located at 608 Dunsmuir Street.  Adam and I used to go there--when it was Chesters. The decor hasn't changed much but the menu has improved. Despite the service ("Didn't you know all the Strawberries and Mexico were frozen?") I ordered:

California Chicken Sandwich 12
Blackened cajun chicken breast with avocado, jack cheese, lettuce and tomato served with rustic roll or flour tortilla
-> A lovely sandwich--all the flavors were nicely balanced and complementary. I could taste all the ingredients: the blackened chicken, the avocado and cheese. Will be ordering again.

with the Salmon Chowder -> Yes, I know--I'm a little snobby about my chowders but this one made the cut.  It's was light and flavorful with chunks of potatoes and fish.

and the New York Cheesecake
Served with chocolate sauce ->  Moist and not too sweet. Just right.

Wouldn't mind taking Adam there sometime--I'm sure he would like the stuffed Yorkshire Puddings.


Bad Review: Pourhouse 


After swimming late Tuesday night, Adam and I decided to get a bite to eat at Pourhouse located at 162 Water Street.  It was 10:30 at night, we were meeting at the Steam Clock and I was cold--so I suggested Pourhouse. Since it opened a couple of years ago, I've eaten at the Pourhouse sporadically- for brunch, goûter, dinner or drinks and I'm always feeling like I should feel like I just had a nice dining experience but I never do. This time was no different.


Crispy Cheese Sandwich 13 -> Melted cheese on toast--ok, but Irish Heather's cheese sandwich is much better (it's all in the caramelized onions, baby).

with House Roasted Tomato Soup -> Very Salty and a very tiny portion. This soup reminds me of my Dad. He has a Chinese catch-phrase that doesn't translate into English verbatim but basically means--"A bar of salt".  This soup is a bar of salt.

Sure, the service is ok and I don't mind the cocktails but the bottom line is that the food served at the Pourhouse is not worth the price charged.

Seems that others agree:
Pourhouse Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment