Friday, February 11, 2011

Green Leafy Vegetable #8: Broccoli

When you were a kid, do you remember all the fuss about Broccoli?

"I do not like broccoli and I haven’t liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I’m President of the United States and I’m not going to eat any more broccoli." George H. W. Bush

I don't get it, because I have always loved Broccoli. What's not to like? Taste? Well, sorry to tell you--if you're going to cook the hell out of anything--it's going to look/taste/act like shit. The trick is to enhance the subtle flavor with crisp tenderness.

You can bake, poach, puree, stir-fry or eat raw Broccoli all year round--so it can always be a staple in your diet. This month Broccoli tips and recipes were featured in Bon Appetit Magazine.

My favorite Broccoli recipe of all time is very simple and you could substitute Broccoli with any other Green Leafy Vegetable. I like my Vegetables crisp tender, so I will only cook Broccoli for 5 minutes total.


Stir Fried Broccoli with Jalapenos and Garlic

Ingredients

2 heads of Broccoli
2 large cloves of Garlic
2 Jalapenos, other hot pepper or pepper flakes

Preparation

Wash and chop Broccoli (including stalks)
Heat wok and spray with PAM or 1 tsp of oil
Add chopped garlic and hot peppers
Add Broccoli and toss for 30 seconds
Add 1/8 cup of water or broth and cover 2 minutes
Add salt as desired and remove from heat or when Broccoli turns dark green.

>> Try Broccoli with Spicy Beef Noodle Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment