Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Green Leafy Vegetable #4: Arugula


Back to my List of Green Leafy Vegetable Recipes: last night I used #4 Arugula in my Walnut Pesto.  Arugula has a nice savory-pepper taste which is perfect with a handful of walnuts, garlic and parmesan. Put it all in a blender with some olive oil and ta da! Pesto. I read the other day, that some people roast their garlic first and then blend--but I won't be doing that.


Pesto over whole grain pasta with chicken breasts and asparagus 
Walnut Pesto  (Will make 8-10 Servings)

Ingredients

1 5 oz. package of Arugula
Handful of walnuts--1/2 a cup (if you're the compulsive type)
4 cloves of garlic
1 handful of parmesan--(still) 1/2 a cup
Olive oil
Salt

Preparation

All blenders are made differently. I have a Hamilton Beach Single Serve Blender and for this recipe 1) works best if I add olive oil in the blender first and and then slowly add more and 2) isn't strong enough to blend chunks of whole pieces of cheese-so I have to grate my cheese before I add it to my blender. If you're blender is cooler than mine--great! You'll need to figure out what works for you.

Heat wok, spray with pan and toast walnuts. Walnuts will start toasting when the wok starts smoking. Toss walnuts keep toasting 1 minute.  Add a bit of oil 1/2 cup (if you are compulsive and are still reading) in blender. Add walnuts, garlic, parmesan, salt to taste and Arugula to blender. Blend. If you find that your mixture isn't blending--slowly add more oil whilst blending to emulsify. Stop blending and scrap down mixture towards blades if necessary.

Store unused Pesto in fitted jar.

>> Try Arugula with Spicy Beef Noodle Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment