Sunday, February 13, 2011

Recipe Review: Red Beans and Rice

I'm beginning to like Sundays. I don't want to do shit anyways, so why not stay at home, listen to music  and cook, cook, cook? Sure, I could say, I'm cooking for the week if I wanted to impress you with my superb organizational skills. But the truth is: I just like cooking.  
Let's make a mess, use all the kitchen tools in the apartment and leave the cleaning till tomorrow?  Today I'm using Dried Red Kidney Beans with my Pressure Cooker to make Red Beans and Rice.  At first, I wanted to do Dirty Rice but when I found out Chicken Giblets are what makes the Rice Dirty ("Yum" in principle but "Yuck" in practice) so I decided to stick with Red Beans and Rice.


I usually use Canned Beans, but last week Lina told me Dried Beans--will absorb more of the flavor. So, I thought I would give it a go.  

Ingredients

1 Pound of dried Red Beans (quick soaked)*
1 Peeled Chorizo sausage   
1 Large diced yellow onion
1 Cup diced celery
1 Cup chopped pepper
4 Large minced garlic cloves
4 Bay leaves
4 tsp chopped parsley
2 tsp thyme
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red pepper
1 tsp ground black pepper
Olive Oil

Preparation

* To learn how to Quick Soak click here. After some research on "authentic" recipes I didn't Quick Soak but soaked the Beans over-night.

Drain Beans, discarding the water and set aside in Pressure Cooker
In a mixing bowl, add onion, celery, green pepper, garlic, bay leaves and spices. Drizzle olive oil over mixture and sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Pour mixture over beans and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Add enough water to cover beans. Close lid, bring to high pressure and cook for 40 minutes.

Remove bay leaves and serve over rice.

I found this recipe to be an ok side dish, but I'm looking for a Main. Next time, I am going to add some Ham Hock in addition to Chorizo.  Also, I am going to add some Roasted Peppers. This way, I figure I will get a more smokey and sweet flavor from my beans. Also, I don't see a big difference in using Dried Beans and Canned Beans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment