Saturday, February 19, 2011

Restaurant Review: Medina


Tagine
Medina Cafe, located on 556 Beatty Street, is one of those places where, throughout the years, I've read great reviews and made attempts to go but was deterred by the long lines. There are always long lines: winter, spring, summer and fall and today was no different. Well, there was one difference--today I had to go to Medina because Andreina wanted to celebrate her birthday there.  We waited over a hour to get in and I kept myself warm with thoughts that this place must be good.  Once seated--and my first time through the door--I found the ambience quite nice and welcoming. Medina looks like and is a bustling little cafe. I was quite looking forward to brunch and I ordered:

$14 Tagine 2 poached eggs, spicy tomato stew, merguez sausage, sundried black olives, and cilantro. Grilled Foccaccia
->The eggs were fine but the tomato stew was not spicy but rather oddly floral tasting. Flavors overall not well balanced and unappetizing.  This dish is not worth $14. I had little bites of the Paella, Waffle and Cassoulet which were all better, but still, I wasn't impressed. 

If I can quote another Review of Medina:
Overall -- disappointing. I liked the place, but not enough to credit it with a "Like." Maybe another visit would help, but if I wanted to spend $50 on a memorable breakfast, why not treat four people to an all-organic one at ROUNDEL'S at Hastings & Nanaimo. Maybe the yuppie's rubbing elbows with me don't mind throwing away the money for the sake of vanity and a look-what-I-can-do (or pretend to do on eternal credit) -- but I say you can get a better experience is a number of other sites. Good luck and don't show up late. Grant G

You will not find me in the lines of Medina in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment