Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Still on the Table: Peckinpah

Last night we went to Peckinpah (located at 2 Water Street): I had just got back to Gastown, we had a birthday thing to go to (and we were already running late) and I needed to eat.

Terra Cotta? Keep Walking. Sitar? Walk. Six Acres? Takes forever. Don't even mention Vera's. How about Peckinpah? Why not, there's only three tables occupied--let's be done with it.

A couple months ago, under my pseudonym, I gave a bad review of Peckinpah:

----
Peckinpah in a word is: Soul-less

I can't wait for this place to go out of business and become a proper bar.
Not only did it take F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get our drink orders in (20 minutes for a beer is silly), the pulled pork is tasteless and prison-style sides were not welcoming. And the worst of all were the ribs--they were skinny and tough.

People, how about you give me $23 for a full rack of ribs--I'll spend about $10 at T&T and 18 minutes with my pressure cooker to give you all proper--fall off the bone ribs with flavor and love.
----
Last night, the service was average (I figure I should mention service--since I did before) and I ordered:

Chicken and Dumplings- shredded roasted chicken with dumplings in a broth -> Tasted like the 7 levels of Salt Hell. The deeper I got into the soup the saltier it tasted

I had a taste of Adam's Pulled Pork Sandwich with Coleslaw -> DELICIOUS. I wish I had ordered it. The meat was tender, smokey and sweet.  But hold on?! I ordered the pulled pork last time and it was tasteless despite their BBQ sauces.

Also, I feel I should mention that I've been to Peckinpah several times now. Not a fan of beef brisket nor the Banana Parfait.

I've asked around and I've heard both good and bad reviews from friends and co-workers, so, I guess people are either loving or hating this place. I don't understand the inconsistency, what's the problem? Different chefs? Problems with the equipment? Maybe last night was a fluke?

All in all, Peckinpah is 1 for 1 with me, but $9.50 for a sandwich isn't worth a 50:50 gamble until the next time I am cold, hungry and late.

Peckinpah on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. I think I've finally found a winner: if you're looking for a satisfying deal- try Peckinpah's smoked chicken wings 1 lb for $6ish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOO! They've added a service charge to TAKE OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh--now they are charging $12 --- you know what? No thanks

    ReplyDelete