Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chinese New Year Recipes: Chawanmushi

Chawanmushi is the Japanese name for a dish that is nameless in my family. You have to admit that "Chawanmushi" sounds a lot better than me calling it "that steamed egg thing that I like"--so, we'll stick with that.

Chawanmushi is traditionally served in a covered bowl and the idea is you get to find the treasures steamed inside the custard as you eat it.  The Japanese traditionally uses whole eggs, stock, soy sauce and sake.  My Mom also uses whole beaten eggs but instead: water, scallions and salt steamed for about 15 minutes or set. In my version, I borrow some ingredients from the Japanese.

Ingredients

Egg whites
Chicken broth
Shrimp shelled and de-veined
Scallops
Clams scrubbed
Sweet Peas
Scallions

Preparation

In a cook-safe bowl, 1 part broth to 2 parts egg whites. Add a handful of Shrimp, scallops, clams and peas to bowl. Add salt and white pepper if desired. Steam for 15 minutes or until eggs are set. Some people like to put plastic wrap or foil over the eggs as they steam but I feel it's unnecessary. Garnish with scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment