Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Scallion, Cauliflower and Bacon Mac & Cheese Recipe

Last Monday, I decided to conquer real Mac & Cheese. Recipes to me are like merit badges--I like to execute, practice and collect them. I like Mac & Cheese and I used to eat Kraft Dinner a lot growing up: it's cheap, easy to make and even a child can make it (kinda).

I remember my little brother trying to make his own Kraft Dinner and my amusement when he emptied the cheese packet into the boiling water like you would with Ramen. I don't remember if I let him eat his cheese water (but I'd like to think I did but of course I didn't).

Mac & Cheese is not just any cheese melted over pasta--and if yours is--I'm not interested in eating it. For this badge, I decided to tried out a Rachel Ray recipe and tweeked it with Paprika, Bacon and Scallions.

I like this recipe--though it is labor intensive and time consuming--it's worth it. I appreciate the spicy Mustard and creamy sauce created by the trio of Cheeses. I also enjoyed the savory Bacon and the way the oven charred the Scallions (making them smokey and sweet). Even my picky eater ate 1/2 the tray (though I think he tried to eat around the Cauliflower).  


Ingredients

Salt
1 pound short cut Pasta
1 large head Cauliflower chopped
1 cup Chicken Stock
3 strips of Bacon
1 Onion, finely chopped
4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons Flour
2 1/2 cups milk
Freshly ground Black Pepper
Freshly grated Nutmeg
Paprika to taste
3-4 sprigs fresh Sage leaves, very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 cup sharp white Cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup Gruyère cheese, divided
1 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, divided
2 Scallion stalks sliced

Preparation

Bring the water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and undercook the pasta by 2 minutes, about 5-6 minutes.
Meanwhile, when the water comes to a boil, in a covered wok, heat the Olive Oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add 1 cup Stock and Cauliflower, cover and steam for 12-15 minutes, until tender. Remove Cauliflower and discard the water from the pot.
Over medium heat in the same wok, fry Bacon until crispy. Remove from heat-drain oil but reserve 1 or 2 tbs in wok, then add the Onion and Garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Add in the Flour and whisk for 1 minute. Whisk in the Milk and season with salt, pepper, Paprika, Nutmeg and Sage. When thickened, stir in the Dijon mustard and two-thirds of the combined cheeses.
Drain the Pasta and add it to the Cauliflower. Stir in the cheese sauce, transfer to baking dish and top with the Bacon, remaining cheese and Scallions. Cool completely and cover for a make-ahead meal.
To bake, pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Bake until brown on a baking sheet to catch the bubble-over. The casserole will take 40-45 minutes to heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment