Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Restaurant Review: Water Street Cafe

Atlantic Lobster Special $22






Last weekend, Adam took me out to a nice Sunday dinner at The Water Street Café (located at 300 Water Street).  Despite living in Gastown for several years now--this was only the second time I had been. Why? Water Street Cafe has a reputation for being expensive, a tourist trap and infamous for bad service. I can agree with maybe 2 out of those 3 things.

We ordered the Seafood Trio--Smoked Salmon, (one lonely) Shrimp and Ahi Tuna on a bed of chopped tomatoes, arugula and capers -> Delicate, light and refreshing--just wish there was more than one shrimp between the two of us.

I ordered the seasonal Lobster Special--$22 for a 1lb Atlantic Lobster with a side of tomato based pasta -> Not impressed at all with meal or the price. Though the plate had a nice presentation, I found the actual Lobster meat and the pasta to be bland. Also, for some strange reason the kitchen did not clean out the Lobster's insides before serving.

Perhaps the kitchen did not clean out the Lobster--because some people like that seafood taste--kind of like people sucking on shrimp heads for flavor. But the taste was overwhelming and (I think) unnecessary--kind of like being served steak and potatoes covered with a pile of tripe. If I were introducing Lobster for the first time to someone I would not take him or her to The Water Street Cafe--too scary and would literally turn them green.

I'll go back though--in fact, I'm planning Yvette's birthday lunch there in May. The Service is good, Water Street has a nice cafe ambience, but I'll stick with the Vongole (and maybe try out the Oysters I keep reading about).


Water St. Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I went back to Water Street Cafe today: I ordered the Mozzarella Caprese Salad (small for what you pay for and the cheese was tasteless), Calamari (average) and Oyster (I've read a lot of good reviews on this dish and I would have to agree-rich and attractive) appetizers. I also ordered the Vongole (ok but not as good as Red Card) and the Creme Brulee (me no likee--looked and tasted and like yellow cold cream).

    ReplyDelete