Wednesday, May 25, 2011

4 Days in Portland- Day 2

Day 2

Chinatown

From what I saw, Portland's Chinatown is small, nothing special, and filled with (what I like to call) "Typical" Chinese Restaurants.

A Typical Chinese Restaurant--where drinks are served in cheap plastic cups and it's best if you don't go to the bathroom (for reasons best unsaid).  And the seats are hard, the menu is basic, but affordable.

Despite this, I always patronize Typical Chinese Restaurants because the basic fare is standard it's fun to try to find the hidden gems menu.

Luckily, one Typical Chinese Restaurant stood out amongst the rest when Adam saw his gem--Deep Fried Pork Belly.



The picture ended up a lot better looking than the Beef Noodle Soup ended up tasting
Skidmore Public Market


Shortly after Chinatown, we met up with Gustavo and the rest of the group at the Skidmore Market- an open air market that features crafts, artisans, food and beer vendors. The most unique part of the market are all the different kinds of exhibiting musicians. Every corner had something different playing: oldies, big band, folk, etc. 


Sun + Rice and Beans for 5.50 + Jenga + great beer/drink selection =     :)
I don't know what it was--but the combination of the above equated to a lovely/creative/fun afternoon on the open patio.
You can't go wrong with Rice and Beans baked with melted cheese and the price is right at $5.50

Integrity Spirits Distillery

Did you know that you can just walk up to a Distillery and get free samples of Spirits? No reservations, no connoisseur bullshit and no sales pressure. Samples may be a thimbles but that's all it took for me to fall in love with this way of doing business/attitude in Portland.

Saffron Vodka -> refreshing-light flavor of saffron- perfect for cooking paella, risottos or just sipping on it own.  I wish they weren't sold out when I was there

Cucumber Gin -> I really liked it. It wasn't overpowering and yes, I could taste the cucumbers. Perfect for Believers or any Ginger Beer cocktail. Still dealing my Indecision's remorse--wish I bought it while I had the chance




Razberry Wheat->  I know, don't say the name out loud--because then this #$%^&!ed name for a beer does really exist. Too bad for the beer--because it's actually quite good.  




Oyster trio paired with 3 ounce pours of Sweet Heat, Burnside Stout, and Belgian Beers -> Sweet Heat was the best pairing. Overall nothing special but I'm happy I tried it


I've first heard of Voodoo Doughnuts at Holly's Frito Pie Dinner- where Beth taught me how to love again--with her Voodoo inspired homemade chocolate doughnuts covered in shreds of bacon.  We tried, the night before to visit the original location of Voodoo Doughnuts but found that it was closed down. I was told that Voodoo has lunch trucks and even has a stand in the Skidmore Market but still I found nothing.  Finally, at 9pm at night---en route to another pub--we stumbled across a Voodoo Doughnut store with a line out the door and into the parking lot.

Two-thirds of my group decided to continue on to the next pub (losers), but the rest of us knew we were in the presence of something special. We decide to order the Voodoo dozen--13 doughnuts picked by the counter and I personally ate/enjoyed/miss to this day 3 doughnuts. One of my favorite memories of this Portland trip was walking in the darkness eating doughnuts.

Bacon Maple Bar 
Raised yeast doughnut with maple frosting and bacon on top!-> surprisingly not stodgy at all. Not a fan of yellow doughnuts and would have preferred bacon on a chocolate doughnut


Triple chocolate penetration 
Chocolate cake doughnut with chocolate frosting and coco-puffs!-> that's what I'm talking about! This doughnut has completely spoiled me--I love Chocolate doughnuts and Coco Puffs?--A winning combination. Made me into a total Doughnut Snob--(which will probably help me lose weight in the long run) because now when my work gets Tim Hortons--I scoff: "What? My choices are just Glazed or Powdered? Pff"


Dirt doughnut Raised yeast doughnut with vanilla frosting and Oreos!-> not a fan of vanilla but the Oreos made up for the difference


Chocolate coconut Chocolate cake doughnut with chocolate frosting and flake coconut!-> I'll never turn down a Chocolate-Coconut doughnut. It's simply the way to my heart.


Coalition Brewery


Diehl Grauer Burgunder Pinot Gris, Germany-> smelled sweet and fruity (apples?). Tasted better after my 3rd glass

Day 1
Day 3
Day 4

No comments:

Post a Comment