Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What's for Lunch? Shōyu Ramen

I love Ramen. Growing up we always had Ramen in the house. When I was a kid--I used to pretend I was at war, hide under my bed and eat my dry Ramen rations. Whenever my Mom had to create an impromptu meal--she would sometimes make a big batch of Ramen with chicken broth, shredded meat (chicken or pork), nappa cabbage, carrots and egg (enjoyed by all).  Whenever Adam and I don't have two dollars to rub together and even when we do--we eat Ramen.

Shoyu Style Ramen

Ramen is as much as a meals as you make of it.  Feeling cheap today--I decided to eat my leftovers for lunch.  My favorite brand is Nissin Demae Ramen and I stock up at T&T. There are many different kinds of broths you can pick from a today I used the Shoyu Ramen:


Shōyu ("soy sauce") ramen typically has a brown and clear color broth, based on a chicken and vegetable (or sometimes fish or beef) stock with plenty of soy sauce added resulting in a soup that’s tangy, salty, and savory yet still fairly light on the palate. Shōyu ramen usually has curly noodles rather than straight ones, but this is not always the case. It is often adorned with marinated bamboo shoots or menma (麺媽), green onions, kamaboko (fish cakes), nori (seaweed), boiled eggs, bean sprouts and/or black pepper; occasionally the soup will also contain chili oil or Chinese spices, and some shops serve sliced beef instead of the usual chāshū.


I cooked the Ramen per instructions, added some asparagus and enoki mushrooms while cooking and set aside. I peeled and halved a hardboiled egg (I always have some hardboiled eggs handy--as a quick snack or addition to meals), sliced my steak leftovers  and garnished the meal with scallions.


The serving was filling and delicious. Not bad for a meal that costs less than $1.00 to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment