Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Good Review: Bad Review Hiro V. Sea Monstr

Only recently has Gastown been blessed with sushi options: Momo's (a no-go for me; Momo's Nigri= bad) and Guu (which isn't open during the day, only serves Sashimi and was closed for health violations in the past) and newcomers Hiro Sushi and Sea Monstr.

Good Review: Hiro Sushi

I walk past Hiro Sushi, located at 142 West Cordova Street, every other day and I see all types of lunch time patrons: Tradies, Hipsters, Suits, etc. A good indicator to me that 1) this place is affordable and 2) the sushi will be fresh.

Salmon Maki $3.00
Hiro Sushi features Donburi, Ramen, Udon, Sushi and Sashimi.  The To-Go counter showcases Nigri and Maki, as well as various appetizers that are all relatively inexpensive. No, this isn't a new concept but I appreciate that I no longer have to settle for what I'm given--now, I can visually inspect whichever sushi I purchase. The other day, I tried Hiro out for lunch.





Salmon Maki-> fresh, tasty and enjoyable. What Salmon Maki should taste like.

Miso Ramen with Chicken-> Nice light broth with loads of ramen, tasty marinated chicken and seaweed. Very comforting in the recent cold weather and very comforting for my wallet (enough for two people or two meals).

Miso Ramen with Chicken $8.00

I imagine in the summer time--getting lunch at Hiro and then sitting in the SFU courtyard would be very relaxing. Even better, if Hiro gets a Liquor License and extends it's hours past 8pm.

Click here to Make Ramen at Home

Bad Review: Sea Monster (sorry) Sea Monster (my bad, sorry, it's me that's retarded not the name) Sea Monstr Sushi

When Sea Monstr Sushi, located at 55 Powell Street, opened it was exciting, completely packed and like an oasis in a desert of shity sushi options. Now, not so much.

Sea Monstr features Sushi, Sashimi, Donburi and various appetizers. Adam will take me there from time to time but it's not my first choice for Japanese. I typically order:

Combo A $10-3 pieces of nigri and a mini bowl of chicken teriyaki-> Three pieces of delicate/small formed nigri and delicate/small buttery chicken teriyaki. Do you realize, at $1 a piece for Nigri that is a $7 mini bowl of chicken teriyaki?

All in all, the food is decent and but not worth paying a premium for. Adam likes the Anchovy Potato Salad and the magnetized beer cups, but I not impressed. Sea Monstr used to be the only decent Sushi in the area and therefore great by default--but looks like things are changing up.


Sea Monstr Sushi on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment