Monday, September 19, 2011

Food Truck Review: Feastro

Fresh Halibut Taco – crispy chickpea battered fresh halibut, tomato/anise chutney with Henry Reed organic greens, tikka masala yogurt, hand cut salsa. $7+ tax
The other day, co-worker told me about Feastro (located at West Cordova at Thurlow)--a Food Truck that specializes in West Coast Cuisine. Still in love the Food Trucks of Portland--I treated myself for lunch.

The name is Feastro, you say? Considering it was a famine rather than feast--why don't they call it Famine-a-rama? I ordered the Halibut Taco and I found it terribly bland. What could be worse? It set me back $8 and I was still hungry afterwards. I did give Feastro another try, a couple of weeks later, this time I ordered the Mussels for $13. Kind of steep considering I got a bowl of cream with a side of Mussels with some fries. Not cool. And it doesn’t look like I’m the only one disappointed:

This food truck is quite sad actually and I'm surprised at the reviews.
I order a fish taco for about $8 including tax. I think it was local ingredients and all the [novelty] of ordering from a food truck was pretty cool. Now I thought it was kind of odd that I was ordering 1 fish taco, but that's how they were being sold and I figured for $8 it should be a good amount of food and something special. Well I was wrong. Let me tell you what you get:1. A tortilla2. Some mixed greens Lettuce3. Salsa (Not very good, or am I a fan of cheap salsa with tomato paste)4. Some other sauce5. A tiny little piece of lime6. And I almost forget a piece of fish, basically bit sized. I'm still new to Vancouver and this has been the biggest waste of money when it comes to food in the city. I will never eat here again. So far the only decent tacos I've had in the city have been Taco Shack. But if you want the best get in your car and drive to Seattle and go to Chipotle. Amazing! Toronto has 2 of them, the only ones in Canada. Vancouver has zero I don't get it?I hope this review will save you the disappoint that I received. And if you're stuck in the areas needing a bite to eat walk a couple blocks to the food court at Urban Fare.


Sadly, I know I’ll go back to Feastro, again, because I love the idea of Food Trucks in Vancouver. I feel like Grampa Simpson--watching Football for the first time -"If we don't support this thing, it won't last!" I figure, I'll just have to go when the weather is nice and I'm not that hungry. 

Feastro the Rolling Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment