Thursday, June 20, 2013

Spicy Meatballs in a Pernod Tomato Sauce Recipe

Geez, Bernsie, you were right--I haven't blogged in a long time.

I haven't posted anything since 2012, you say? Whoops. I don't know --it's just that back in 2012 I started really getting to know blogging culture and it was a turn off. I don't like how bloggers profess to be an expert on whatever they are blogging about. I, for one, am an expert at jack squat, but I did really like what I made for dinner tonight. The smell of Fennel and Tomato filled my apartment and I knew that this was going to be exceptional. I liked this meal so much that I wanted to blog the recipe so I could come back to it next time I fancied it.

Spicy Meatballs in a Pernod Tomato Sauce

* Half and half of ground beef and pork
* 1 Sweet Onion
* 1 handful of fresh Parsley
* Lawry's Seasoning Salt
* Chili flakes
* Olive Oil
* Pernod
* Tomato Sauce (my go to jarred sauce is Newman's Own)
* Salt and Pepper to taste
* Food processor
* Dutch Oven
* Fresh pasta
* Fresh Parmesan

In a Food Processor chop Onion and Parsley. Add to large bowl and then add Ground Meat. Mix with hands. Add a dash of Lawry's Seasoning Salt, Chili flakes and continue mixing by hand. Roll meatballs to fit in your palm and set aside.

Add Olive oil to Dutch Oven on medium heat. When the Dutch Oven gets hot add Meatballs (in batches if necessary). Brown Meatballs all over and then add a shot of Pernod--turn heat down to simmer and cover for 3 minutes. When your Pernod had reduced to your desired amount add a cup or two of Tomato Sauce. Mix, cover and let simmer for 5-10 more minutes. Taste and add more sauce, salt, pepper, whatever you want, baby. Keep warm.

In a pot, bring to boil and add fresh pasta. When the pasta is almost cooked--strain and leave 1 cup of cooked pasta water. Add a 1/4 of a cup of your Tomato sauce and add cooked pasta back to pot. Let sit for a minute or two and when the pasta should absorbs the sauce you can plate up.  This dish doesn't need to be smothered in Tomato sauce--so layer Pasta, Meatballs, Tomato Sauce and Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment